Bernard Savage, director at business development consultancy Size 10½ Boots, has done this three-minute video explaining how to network in the new era of online meetings. (10 November 2020)
These platforms (and other virtual ones like them) have several advantages over traditional face-to-face networking:
- They enable you to network even during lockdown restrictions.
- You can move around a room easily by dragging your mouse, without the awkwardness of traditional networking (there is no need to look over people’s shoulders, or to peer at name badges).
- Location is not a barrier to growing your network, as you can network anywhere in the world from your PC/laptop at home.
- Virtual networking is far more time-efficient than traditional networking, as no travel is required.
- Follow-up is made easier, as you can connect via email and/or LinkedIn simply by clicking.
- These platforms (unlike Zoom) are designed for networking, so you can meet people 1on1 in virtual rooms at events.