Bernard Savage, director at business development consultancy Size 10½ Boots, did this three-minute video back in the lockdown era of 2020, to explain how to network in the new era of online meetings. (10 November 2020)
These platforms (and other virtual ones like them) have several advantages over traditional face-to-face networking:
- They enable you to network even during lockdown restrictions.
- You can move around a room easily by dragging your mouse, without the awkwardness of traditional networking (there is no need to look over people’s shoulders, or to peer at name badges).
- Location is not a barrier to growing your network, as you can network anywhere in the world from your PC/laptop at home.
- Virtual networking is far more time-efficient than traditional networking, as no travel is required.
- Follow-up is made easier, as you can connect via email and/or LinkedIn simply by clicking.
- These platforms (unlike Zoom) are designed for networking, so you can meet people 1on1 in virtual rooms at events.