Find out why we're a leading insurance provider for small businesses, and what our wealth of experience has taught us about understanding the inner workings of companies like yours.
At Travelers, we’ve been insuring small businesses for decades. And, starting with the first loss we ever paid out – a small bakery fire in 1855 – to today, we’ve put our customers’ needs at the heart of everything we do.
We understand that every business starts out small. That’s why we focus on offering insurance designed to protect small businesses, so they can flourish and grow.
One of the best things about having over 160 years of experience is that we’re constantly adapting to changing times. That’s what we’ve been doing since we started out. And, since then, we’ve remained committed to offering you easy-to-understand products designed to help you tackle your daily business battles head-on.
Our specialist underwriting skills, expert knowledge around the risks small businesses face and our team of claims professionals all help us achieve our aim of providing first-class service in everything we do. And we’re doing it for you.
Our business credentials
Here’s some fast facts about Travelers to put you more in the picture.
- We insure around one million small businesses across the globe.
- We’re one of the biggest insurance companies in the US, so you can count on us to have first-class customer service.
- Our products are specifically tailored to small business needs.
- We make business insurance easy to understand, so we can put you in control.
- You can get an online quote in minutes and pay no admin fees.
- We’ve been insuring small businesses since 1853 and insured our first UK business in 1990.
- We have a fully dedicated 24/7 claims line.
We started trading in 1853 and are one of the oldest insurance brands in the US. We’re also part of The Travelers Companies, Inc. which is the second largest commercial property liability insurer in the US.
In the UK and Ireland, our customers range from small- to medium-sized businesses to large commercial and public service organisations.
- In 1912, after the Titanic sank, we paid out more than $1m to beneficiaries in accident claims and life insurance benefits.
- In 1969, we issued the first accident policy for space and lunar exploration, which covered the Apollo astronauts who landed on the moon.
- In 1999, we were the first insurance company to offer identity fraud cover.
We’re committed to keeping pace with the ever-changing needs of our customers and anticipating their needs for the future.
With all this experience and history under our belt, we understand the risks businesses face and employ some of the best insurance experts in the industry.
The Travelers Companies, Inc. group of companies is a leading provider of property liability insurance for motor, home and business. The group has more than 30,000 employees. And, we do business in the United States, Canada, UK and Ireland, as well as Brazil through a joint venture with the brand J. Malucelli.
As at 31 December 2014, Travelers had:
- total assets of about $103bn.
- shareholders’ equity of about $25bn.
- total revenue of about $27bn.
For more details, read about our financial strength.
Our European-based operations offer our customers a wide range of cover through Travelers Insurance Company Limited, Travelers Syndicate Management Limited (Syndicate 5000 at Lloyd’s), and Travelers Underwriting Agency Limited.